In the 19th century the earliest machinery was driven by a steam engine that burned alum shale. In 1904 the old stone-working business was moved from Hällekis harbour to Gössäter so that the business could expand. At the end of the 1920s the business underwent extensive modernisation, including the purchase of new machinery.
From the 1930s, Hällekis was the largest and best-known stoneworks in Kinnekulle, employing around 50 people at its peak. By 1951 the machinery had reached the end of its life and the stoneworks was shut down.