At first, the millstones were quarried in open pit mines, and the workers had the quarrying as an extra income. It was not until the 19th century that mines were dug into the mountain side and the pruduction became industrialized. The demand for millstones had increased due to population growth, and many miners were now fully employed in the mines.
The millstones were sold all over Sweden, and some stones even made it all the way to North Africa and Turkey, probably as ballast. At most, around 100 men worked in the quarries and mines. Add coachmen, blacksmiths, clogmakers, women and children, and you get a workforce of around 600 people.
Sometime between 1915 and 1925, all millstone making operations ceased at Lugnåsberget. The reason was new materials and new milling techniques, which made the natural millstones obsolete.
Today, there are remains of around 50–55 mines and 600 quarries, all around the mountain. The millstone quarry in Minnesfjället is the only quarry of its type in Europe that is open to the public, and it was given Swedish geological heritage status in 2012.