In the woods above Råbäck harbour are the remains of what was once Råbäck limeworks. The limeworks was in use from the mid-19th century until 1958.

Activities at the limeworks involved quarrying and burning lime. The area is now a registered heritage site and has recently undergone restoration, including the clearing of scrub, new signage and the creation of a geology trail (around 500 m long).

The mounds that can be seen today are evidence of the former lime-burning operations. These are the remains of the furnaces in which the lime was burned, together with heaps of alum shale ash. This ash, which is brick-red in colour, was laid in heaps near the limeworks. There are also some complete kilns that were not burned down when the limeworks was closed. There are no building remains at the limeworks. The reason for this is that the kilns were built of stone, and all the work was carried out outdoors, in summer and winter.

The rock was occasionally quarried by blasting, but most of the time it was extracted using hand tools alone. The working conditions of those who “worked the lime” were consequently very tough.

Hitta Hit