An important part of a geopark’s activities is to work for the conservation and sustainable use of geological sites. As a part of this work, we want to make an inventory of geological tourist attractions within the geopark, in order to increase knowledge and draw up a conservation plan for geological heritage sites. A geopark can value, make an inventory of, and provide information about geological natural values which should be considered in the conservation of nature as well as in physical planning.
The inventories and conservation plans should be usable in the development of outdoor life and tourism in the area, as well as in forming a ground for nature conservation efforts, such as municipal conservation programmes.
The aim is to:
• Contribute to a sustainable management of the geological natural heritage
• Build knowledge by making an inventory of geological attractions in the geopark
• Identify vulnerable geological attractions and suggest actions
• Compile a report, “Conservation Plan for Geological Heritage in Platåbergens Geopark”, which can be used as a ground for municipal or regional conservation programmes
• Use the report as a part of the work to be approved as a UNESCO Global Geopark, but also as a document which can be used by municipalities, nature conservation agencies, and the tourism industry.